The Vanguard submarines were built by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering Limited (now called BAE Systems Marine) at Barrow-in-Furness. The first of class, HMS-28 Vanguard, was commissioned in 1993, HMS-29 Victorious in 1995, HMS-30 Vigilant in 1996 and HMS-31 Vengeance in 1999. The Vanguard Class submarines are based at the Royal Naval Base at Faslane in Scotland. In February 2002, HMS Vanguard arrived at Devonport Naval Base to begin a two year refit including a new reactor core, which was completed in January 2005.Following sea trials, which included test launching of Trident II D5 ballistic missiles, the vessel has returned to the fleet. A new dry dock was completed in 2001 for the refit of Vanguard and other RN nuclear-powered submarines. HMS Victorious began refit in January 2005, which was completed in July 2008.
Notes & Tips:
* Includes a scale model which requires assembly, this is not a toy.
* Ages 14 and over.
* Choking hazard: Contains small parts.
* Actual model may vary from images.
* Does not include tools, cement or paints.
* Some modelling experience recommended.